"My Future" Career Programme 2019-2020
Did you know?
Stoke –on-Trent is one of only a 12 Opportunity Areas in the country where funding is being assigned to address the issue of social mobility. As a school within an Opportunity Area, we have a responsibility to work hard to raise aspirations and broaden the horizons of the children in our care. There are National initiatives that support this work such as The Careers and Enterprise Company and we will be working on gaining a Quality Award that assess our career work against the national best practice framework Gatsby Benchmark.
What are we doing?
At St Thomas Aquinas, we are not providing careers advice to the children. Our career programme is called “My Future” and we aim to:
- Excite and motivate children about their learning by linking and embedding in the curriculum strong connections between education and the world of work.
- Help children see a clear link and purpose between their learning experiences and their future.
- Broaden children’s horizons and raise aspirations.
- Challenge stereotypes that children and their parents often have about jobs and the people who do them.
- Support the raising of standards of achievement and attainment for all children.
- Help children learn more about their own talents and abilities and install greater confidence.
- Reinforce the importance of Maths and English in later life.
- Tailor career-related learning to the different ages and needs of all children.